Friday, September 5, 2008

Ghostbusters Reboot!

Not a couple weeks after posting my first (and, right now, only) “Here’s The Pitch,” Sony has announced that it’s “rebooting” Ghostbusters.

Fantastic news!

Of course, I’m going to guess that new scribes Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg (writer/producers on NBC’s The Office) won’t be following my outline. That’s just a guess.

Their Ghostbusters will feature a whole new cast, but there is word that a number of the original cast members may be involved. This could mean that an iteration of my outline might come to fruition – namely that a couple of folks (my guess is Akroyd and Ramis) will be on hand to pass the torch.

Akroyd – or more appropriately his character, Ray Stantz – is the best choice, in terms of story, to be a supporting character. Stantz is the heart of the Ghostbusters, and Akroyd’s genial smile and pat on the back will give the new ’Busters the appropriate blessing. I could even see Akroyd remaining a focal point, as the new team’s wise leader who tinkers and teaches back at Ghostbusters HQ.

And I could see room for all of the regular cast members to make an appearance. Even Bill Murray would make a cameo, I have to assume.

So who should make up the new fab four? I’m sticking with Tina Fey in the Bill Murray/Peter Venkman role. And I’d love to see her paired with Amy Poehler.

With the scribes ties to The Office, I could see John Krasinski as Oscar Venkman, the adopted son of Peter Venkman and the biological son of Sigourney Weaver’s Dana Barrett. Krasinski plays Jim on the NBC sit-com. And then there’s Rainn Wilson (Dwight Shrute on The Office). He could easily play either the mad scientist type or the crazed survivalist. Or a combination of the two.

Wow, this is exciting news!

Now that I’m almost done with my Breakfast Club 2 pitch, maybe we’ll get an announcement of that new film.

No comments: