Friday, July 25, 2008

Obligatory Introductory Post: The Sequel

If you’re looking for the original Obligatory Introductory Post (as suggested by the title above), let me save you the trouble. There isn’t one.
Which begs the question: Should there be?

And with that, therein rests the question that stands as the foundation of this spankin’ brand new entertainment blog: Should there be?

For example, should there be another Ghostbusters movie? Should there be a movie version of Alan Dean Foster’s Spellsinger series. Maybe there are other people out there that’d like to find out what happened to those crazy kids from The Breakfast Club or a feature length Dr. Shrinker film.

And maybe my imagination is the fertile ground from which this veritable garden of bright ideas springs forth, grows into and overtakes the great land of Hollywood where … where …

… Well, you get the idea.

As often as possible, I hope to populate this site with posts that begin with a statement: “Why haven’t they made a movie out of …” or “They oughta make make a movie out of …” or “Maybe there should be a film about …”

Then I’ll follow it up with reasons why they haven’t – or are planning to.

Finally, the best part. I’ll end with my idea – my pitch – on how best to do just that.

And, if it turns out one of these projects (whether my idea or not – and about 99.9 percent of the time, you can rest assured I had NO influence whatsoever) gets greenlit, we’ll follow it with news and speculation – and surely tell them what they’re doing wrong. Because we know everything, right?

So why do this?

Well, for fun, first of all. It’s a great conversation starter and, as movie lovers, something we all do from time to time.

Second, because I know remakes (or “reimaginings”) can be done well. You’ve seen it happen. Battlestar Galactica is a great, recent example. And how’s about the incredible ratings the new Knight Rider received, launching that new series? Or George Clooney’s Ocean’s 11 and its sequels? And the yet to be released JJ Abrams’ Star Trek. Or Get Smart?

It can be done and there are a number of old TV shows, movies, books and comics that are ripe for rediscovery. And I want to rediscover them.

What’s the take home?

If the stars align and the heavens are generous, maybe a producer who’s holding the rights to one of these properties is inspired to move ahead with his or her project.

And if the stars offer free rounds to everyone in the bar and the heavens rain pieces of eight on my tiny little three-bedroom home, maybe someone who owns one of these properties will like my idea oh so very much that they’ll contact me and purchase said pitch.

At the very least, maybe I’ll entertain you, inspire conversation and even gain a little audience to call my own.

So, without further adieu …

No comments: